21 Oct Business Etiquette in Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic is the perfect place for you to build your own business. If you are interested, this will help you out with the business surroundings in our country. To be successful you must:
- Understand the business environment of Dominican Republic
- Prepare and conduct successful negotiations
- Understand the importance of cultural intelligence
Today’s networking and personal contacts are the key factor in the business world, so business relationships highly depend on earning someone’s trust. By doing so, you would expect to give as well as receive favors from other business executives. In Dominican Republic, in-person meetings are considered very important since one would be able to analyze the person’s personality from the first impression and determine if there is potential in working with them.
Some facts about Dominicans that will help you get along through the business environment:
- Dominican’s might not be punctual, but it’s highly recommended for you to arrive ahead of time.
- When firmly shaking their hand use the following words to greet them:
“buenos dias”, “buenas noches”, or “buenas tardes”
- Office meetings are usually held in the morning and business lunches are often held in the afternoon in restaurants close to the company.
- It is important to have a conversation before you jump into business. Trust comes first, business comes later!
- Asking them about their personal life is not perceived wrong or offensive, so go for it!
- Spanish is the official language although English is widely spoken (it is important to have documents printed in both languages).
Business Cards, very important
Show respect to the individual when he offers his business card by placing it in an organized manner in your wallet. It would tell a lot about someone’s business ethics and personality. Dominicans, are considered highly skilled and direct negotiators.
Things to know:
Customs & Family Values:
- The family forms the basis of stability.
- Loyalty to the family comes before any other social relationship.
- If you are invited to dinner at a Dominican’s home, it’s important to offer them a gift to show appreciation.
- You can offer them something that is related to your or their culture. Bring a pastry, or something to drink like a bottle of wine.
- Dominicans pride themselves on their hospitality. When someone visits, Dominicans make their guests feel welcome and comfortable.
- Houseguests are treated royally.
- Try to learn as much as possible about the country’s history and food so you can demonstrate interest in their culture.
- You should make compliments about the country’s beautiful places since they feel proud of their country’s exotic beauty and diversity.
- Domincans are fashion conscious since they care a lot about the physical appearance.
- Make sure to pull off the right outfit for the right occasion.
- If it’s a business meeting, then wear a business suit and if it’s for a different setting make sure it’s appropriate.
If you are interested in doing business in Dominican Republic, call us +1 (809) 684-3175 or use our contact form.